Monday, October 8, 2007

Too much Joe

So, back when I was working my first job out of college selling tires and brakes, I probably drank 1-2 pots of coffee per day. That's right, multiple pots of coffee per work day. I was an assistant store manager, and was probably putting in around 75 hours per week, loads o' fun!

Well, I developed a twitch in my left eye from all the caffeine and basically had to cut back on hours and caffeine to get rid of it. I am happy to report, I HAVE MY TWITCH BACK!!!

I had no idea I was drinking so much coffee until the other day my left eye started buggin' out. I was like, WHOA! Not this again. So, I am not making my pot of coffee this morning, instead I will head to Starbucks later and get back into that. Kinda crazy, but basically two weeks of drinking a pot of coffee per day gets that twitch going full force. Apparently I can handle one cup, maybe two, but an entire pot per day... bad news.

So, I found that out this weekend along with a couple other things.

Probably the most ridiculous thing I saw this weekend was a pen. That's right, an ink pen. Some folks think that it's important to have a good pen. I was at the mall picking up some dress shirts, and there was a Mont Blanc store there so I decided to pop in. I had been there before because a buddy of mine has a Mont Blanc and pays $12 for ink refills.

So, I'm browsing around purposely pissing off the waitstaff. What do you call these guys? they sell pens, fer chrissakes! Well, they had a pen that was $10,500!!! No lie... platinum body encrusted in diamonds. So I started thinking about the type of person that would buy this damn thing.

Sure, Bill Gates could afford a case of them, but he seems kinda frumpy so I'm sure he just uses a Papermate. I could totally see Donald Trump or George Steinbrenner with one, those guys have some serious egos.

But about the only thing I could come up with that would even warrant a $10,500 pen would be like if it was being used to sign a peace treaty ending World War III or like the first trade agreement with an intergalactic civilization. then we could put it straight in the Smithsonian and be done with it.

I think my problem would be that I tend to chew on the ends of pens. Not like some folks that chew them up like a dog would, but I do chew a bit. I could totally imagine chewing on the end of that thing and ending up with some diamonds stuck in my teeth or something. Nothing like buying a pen and inadvertently ending up with a grill.

So, moving on to other news...

Salukis won their Homecoming game! Cubs got swept as I predicted! Bears finally win!!! Buccaneers lost!

It was a mixed bag of sports over the weekend. I was reminded by my old sales manager that I actually predicted the Cubs playoff sweep last winter. When Lou Pinella was brought in by the Cubs, Paul and I had a talk about it. He thought the Cubs were a lock for the World Series after getting Pinella and Alfonso Soriano. I told him that the Cubs were like a cocktease. They'd squeak into the playoffs creating a craziness on the North Side of Chicago that only happens once or twice a decade, and then they'd promptly get swept.

I actually forgot about that conversation til I got that phone call. Go figure... I'm closer to Nostradamus than I thought, I guess. Needless to say, I will come up with an off-season prediction for the Cubs for 2008 so keep tuned in!

Peace out
Heitz

No comments: