Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Self Inflicted Day Off

Well, I must say, some of us were a bit on the "fuzzy" side yesterday. I felt like one of those dream sequences in a movie where the edges are all blurred. Nothing 10 hours of sleep and a fresh pot of coffee can't remedy!

So, I am back in full force today! Had an interesting couple days, I can assure you. After the debacle Sunday night with the Bears and the Cowboys, I also had the opportunity to witness what I can only call a "Hip-Hip Debacle". I saw a hip-hop performance the other night from a group called... no, I am not makig this up... Blac Soap.

Now, I have not really gone on record with my opinions of the Tampa Bay music scene. Of course, living in Chicago my whole life I was immersed in such legendary music venues as the Double Door, Kingston Mines, Buddy Guys' Legends, etc... I have now been in Tampa four years and I try to take advantage of every opportunity to see local musicians. Of course, being a busy guy, I don't get out as much as I'd like. BUT, for the most part it has been disappointing cover bands, although there have been exceptions.

So, Blac Soap gets on stage and I was definitely ready for something good. These guys have won awards in the area for their talent, so I don't know if maybe they just were having a bad night. But, Blac Soap sounded more like a Blac Hole. The acoustics were not so good, but the other musical acts that night sounded pretty good. These guys, in my opinion, were just plain awful Now, I've been listening to hip-hop and rap since the good ol' days of Run-DMC, Easy-E, and Public Enemy back in the mid-80's I've hear a lot of good rap, and I have heard a LOT of bad Rap. I would classify these guys as BAD! But, until I hear more i guess I should reserve judgement. I mean, how many 1-Hit wonders are running around out there? Anyone remember the "Safety Dance"? Shit, they are still playing that stupid song on EVERY 80's station in the country although you'd be hard-pressed to find ANYONE who liked it when it was new.

Hmmmm... I didn't realize I was going to turn todays blog into a music review, but there it is. I'm gonna do these guys a favor though and reserve my full judgment until after I see them perform again. Maybe I'll pick up their CD and see how they sound when properly mixed and edited. Until then, I'll just keep doing what I do.

Cuz that's how I roll...
Peace out...
heitz

No comments: