Sunday, November 25, 2007

What just happened?

Yikes... so I write a blog last Saturday and then POW!!! Before I know it Thanksgiving has passed and it's the following Sunday already. I couldn't even tell you what I did over this past week other than earn a paycheck.

Hmmmm... Is this really the ultimate goal? Work so hard to make a good living (or in some folks cases a marginal wage...) but put forth so much energy that you couldn't tell someone what you had for dinner on Tuesday?

Well, I guess in the big scheme of things, what I had for dinner Tuesday is pretty inconsequential. Of course, considering we are all specks of dirt in the UBER scheme of things, it really hardly matters whether I make a living or not.

One of the things I miss about living in Chicago is the history... and not just the history of the area. I used to go to the Art Institute once a month or so... you want to talk about being insignificant??? How about looking at a bowl or urn made over 3,500 years ago... I imagine I'll probably live into my 70's or so (sounds about right)... imagine if I could create something that would last for 3,500 years!!! Now THAT would be an accomplishment. Like that Beowulf guy... no one knows who originally wrote that story but it only dates back to the 8th century or so. That's only a third of the timeline of some of the pieces I used to stare at and wonder about the hands that made them...

I've been thinking a LOT about history lately... mainly musical history and literature... I recently decided it's time to learn to play guitar and I listen to some of the masters of rock guitar like Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton... It reminds me of how I feel when I started playing golf at the age of 30. Seeing little Tiger Woods on that TV show all those years ago hitting balls at like the age of 6 or something... the exact same feeling as seeing Salvador Dali's first work when he was six years old.

And I come to the realization that while I had a good time being a kid, I really wasted a LOT of time. I mean, what did I get out of gorging myself on sugar coated cereal and watching cartoons on Saturday mornings?

So, I just got done browsing the news web sites for the first time in a week... nothing new... protesters getting hosed by water cannons, people in Pakistan are being arrested for supporting the old prime minister, a guy bought a town in Texas on eBay...

same shit different day...

Back to the insignificant stuff... the Chicago Bears get to be spanked by the Denver Broncos today. I left a brief smack talk voicemail for the only Bronco fan I know yesterday... went something along these lines...

"YO, Ben-wah!!! Frikking Bears RULE!!! Broncos are going DOWN to Chinatown!!!"

Again, I just don't seem to learn my lessons.

Peace out...

Heitz

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! Yeah - this is a really late reply, but, you were right, the Broncos' sucked this year, and whoa...it's now the new year. Just wanted to say whassup; glad to know you're working on something (guitar, more blogging) and I plan to check in mo' regularly.
peace out, bear fan (and really, it's not like they were even any better than Denver this year, punk!)