Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Tuesday is the New Monday

Ughhhhh...

Seriously, I feel like I just got done with a 48 hour bender... is this Monday or Tuesday?

I could go right in to the "they always die in 3's" and be totally justified... But I won't...

What I do want to start with is Ike Turner:



Apparently, Ike has no problem with there being no official "Ike Turner Day" in St Louis. I guess he was up for the honor in conjunction with playing at the "Big Muddy Blues Festival" coming up in a few weeks. For anyone not familiar with the "Big Muddy", I went a few times while in college in good ol' Southern Illinois... St Louis is a good place to party; let me just leave it at that.

So, Ike does not get a special day... many people think that the portrayal of him as a wife-beater should be enough to make him just go away. Who can forget Jim Carrey's line in "Liar, Liar":



"Hit me again Ike, and this time put some stank on it!!!"

But seriously, if we give Ike Turner his own special day in St Louis... don't we need a Billy Corgan day in Chicago? How about a Justin Timberlake Day in Orlando? Shit, while we're at it, I was pretty well known on Western Avenue in Chicago for a while... how about a "Mike Heitz Day"... just on the West side of Western Avenue (that's the side with all the bars... damn dry precincts...)... Now I think we are on to something.


tell ya what... I'll spring for a few kegs of natural Light or something...someone else can handle the entertainment... we can rock til we puke. I'm pretty sure we can get some headliners to show up!

Between his drug conviction and his infamous image as a wife beater, I should think Ike SHOULD be just happy with still being around the music scene. It's refreshing to see that he is happy with his place in the world. I think more people should be that way...

DEATH IN THREE'S...
Here we go again... Tom Snyder, Ingmar Bergman, and Bill Walsh all died yesterday...


Bergman was known for the number of stars he created back in the 50's including one of my all time favorites... Max von Sydow... Who can forget his role as Brewmeister Smith in the critically acclaimed "Strange Brew: The Adventures of Bob & Doug Mackenzie"? You could really feel the evil seeping out of his character... I'm sure he learned that from Bergman...




Tom Snyder spent years and years interviewing people on late night TV... probably one of the most memorable interviews was when he met with Charles Manson... gives me the chills still just thinking about it. In case you've been living under a rock, Charles Manson is that loony toons guy that took a few acid trips WAY too far... To this day, his parole hearings are aired on Court TV when they do come up.





And Bill Walsh was the architect of the West Coast offense in the NFL. He was widely regarded as a great talent evaluator after drafting the likes of Joe Montana in the 3rd round of the draft and a guy from a tiny southern school by the name of Jerry Rice. Only two of the best players EVER in the history of the game. Of course, being a Bears fan and not giving a rats ass about the 49ers, I can point out Walsh was also a master manipulator of OTHER teams draft day thinking... Walsh would tab a QB as the "next Montana" and suddenly there is a whirlwind of activity surrounding this guy and someone else would gobble them up only to find out Walsh was pulling their leg. Case in point: Steve Stenstrom. Drafted by the KC Chiefs after Walsh tabbed him as the next great thing, and of course my Bears picked him up from them and proceeded to go 4-12 with him at the helm. He still has numerous passing records at Stanford, but he is not even the next Montana Jock Strap...

Couple quick hits before I leave you today...
  • Mike Vick is getting rolled on. One of his co-defendants is taking a plea bargain and is naming Vick as the bank roller of the massive dog fighting ring. Have fun in prison, Mike. Can anyone else see a "Longest Yard" kinda scenario here?




  • Danica McKellar, the cute lil' girl from the Wonder Years TV show, says that being smart and cute is better than being cute and dumb. Well, go figure... of course, I am an idiot... I forgot I put her on lay-away all those years ago... look who has egg on their face now. She's right though... emphasis on cute... we don't want them ugly no matter what. Good thing Danica turned out DEEEE-licious!!!

  • Chris Simms, QB for the Tampa Bay Bucaneers, may be suffering from "Proprioception"... apparently this means he cannot tell where his arms and legs are in relation to the rest of his body. I guess this is just laying the groundwork for the numerous interceptions he will throw this year.

Peace out...

Heitz

No comments: