Friday, September 11, 2009

Getting my ass kicked

Wow, I haven't sweated this much in probably 15 years...

I have been unemployed for 7 months... fortunately my girlfriend is an amazing woman and puts up with me. ;-) We recently decided to get our butts in gear and join her 9 year old son in Taekwondo classes. We thought it would be a great way to bond as a family, while also getting us in better shape.

Well, tonight was our first real test... one on one sparring with the whole class basically. I used to do plenty of fighting in the streets of Chicago, and even boxed a little back in the day... but nearing age 40, I wasn't sure how I would hold up against a load of 20-somethings.

Everyone in the group (except me and Angela) are Brown or Black belts... just an added bonus.

And to make things worse, I have three blasted discs in my lower back... very painful, but I suck it up and make it through each day.

So, we basically get our butts handed to us. Sweat pouring off us in buckets. I have blisters on both my big toes and had two near misses on the family jewels. All in all, a very good night though as I landed a few punches and kicks on some black belts (I know, they probably let me... but it felt good...).

I haven't thrown a punch in probably close to 15 years so using muscles that have been dormant for so long was exhausting. But I think we'll all have so much fun with it each week that it might just be our Friday night tradition... ;-)

Oh yeah... and tomorrow at 9am we have a Mixed Martial Arts class... apparently it's guranteed to destroy us as well...

yippee!!!

Heitz

No comments: