Saturday, February 7, 2009

Wow... been a while

Oh yeah, I have a blog to write!!!

I tell ya, reading the news and seeing what's going on in the world, it's been crazy. I have mostly been keeping my head down for fear of it getting shot off. The financial institutions are in ruins (I worked at Bank One, First Chicago, IndyMac Bank, Fremont General, and Bear Stearns) - none of which except IndyMac even exist anymore... and IndyMac is basically being run by the Fed right now.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-burge-investigationfeb04,0,5165114.story

Then I see the articles in the Chicago media about the detectives being investigated for torturing confessions out of suspects. Now, I can't go back in time and go to a different dimension to see how this would have played out... but I know every name I have seen in those articles about cops being investigated. I met all of them through cops I knew (who shall remain nameless) at varying points in my life. I can only wonder how I would have turned out had I not flubbed a Psychological Evaluation with the Chicago Police Department...

For anyone that has gone through one, it's pretty simple. They are pushing buttons to get reactions. Apparently I got flustered when he kept pushing the "do you use drugs" deal. Whatever... My best friend at the time got into the academy and I did not. I knew he was a bigot but it really came out in him after getting a badge. I'm pretty sure we would have gone to fisticuffs at some point had I not vacated the neighborhood.

Anyhoo... so I guess it could be worse... I could be getting investigated for torturing murder suspects. :)

***

Went camping for the first time in years recently... it was a Boy Scouts of America campground in Clearwater, FL. Great time with Angela & Remi... except it was frikking COLD!!! seriously, sleeping outdoors when it is hovering around the freezing mark is drastically over-rated.

The thing that struck me about the whole setup though was something I don't remember ever seeing when I was a Scout. I felt like I was at a Nazi Youth training camp. White kids as far as the eye could see and I can't remember the last time I heard so many prayers and hymns... probably a Catholic wedding at some point...

I am pretty much middle of the road in everything I do - I've voted Republican AND Democrat (but mostly independent - yeah, I was the guy that voted for Nader, Perot, Forbes...)... I also like to think for myself instead of believing some very specifically chosen folk-tales (yeah, Catholicism and Christianity are not even on my radar when it comes to beleifs) or think that EVERYTHING is a conspiracy while toking up on the bong water again...

So, you can imagine skin crawling as all of this unfolded... Now, when I was a kid I remember the only time we really bowed our heads for a prayer was at the annual Pancake Breakfast. Of course, it was hosted in a church... 'nuff said. So, was I just "lucky" in being in a group that didn't buy into the right-wing agenda of the Scouts, or is this a recent thing???

Whatever it is, I fear brainwashing... ;)

Alright... time to watch Sportscenter for the first time in like forever... (yeah, been that far under a rock...)

Peace out
Heitz

No comments: