Monday, February 23, 2009

I gots dem layoff blues...

Well, that was a first... most companies lay folks off on Thursdays, but me and bunch folks just got laid off this morning! I have honestly never been laid off on a Monday before so I can cross that off the list of things to do! :)

So as of this morning, I have now left my 5th company since the beginning of 2007. Hard to believe??? The subprime tsunami swept through and I was laid off from Fremont, quit IndyMac Bank (total train wreck there and the whole company was pretty much dissolved a month or two later), then laid off from Bear Stearns 90 days after that (got a 60 day severance though!! WOO HOO!!!), then went to work for Robert Half Int'l (talk about evil empire) and laid off after 9 months of riding that roller coaster, and now laid off from Spatial Networks, a very cool little company but struggling like most are these days.

What is a boy to do? Seriously, I just had this conversation the other day - Am I really cut out for Corporate America any more? Sure I have mad skillz in a number of areas... am I an expert in anything though? Probably not. And at this point, being laid off doesn't even phase me. I've been through so many that I already know the drill, I know it sucks, I know they are tough decisions... I know I will be just fine eventually.

The beauty is, I am so used to living frugally that I am not really worried about debt or bankruptcy. I have a fraction of the debt most folks are carrying around with them (Thank You Fremont for those 6 figure commission checks!!!). Anyhoo, the good news is, at least for the time being, I get to write more! YAY!

Just woke up from a nap (seriously, in between paragraphs... dozed off for a bit... unemployment does have it's perks!!!

Peace out...
Heitz

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If there's anyone who will bounce back from stuff like this happening...it's you. Sorry you had to go through it again though, but glad you are getting to write more. :-)
K