Friday, April 3, 2009

HAPPY FRIDAY!

Sometimes life is pretty crazy...

So, I am on a month of being unemployed, there are fewer job listings online than I recall seeing EVER in my life, and there is a LOT of uncertainty not just in my little world, but all around me.

So, why am I so happy?

Hmmm... probably a few things.

1. I am writing more! OK, so my blog has been suffering lately, but I have finished (I think) three full on chapters for my novel and am cranking on Chapter 4 this weekend... I actually have eleven chapters written, but am re-writing a lot of what I previously put down on paper. So, that makes me feel good... I just hope it's worth reading! :)

2. For the first time in my life I am truly happy in a relationship! :) Angela is like a dream come true, and every day is better than the last... so, that helps! ;)

3. I am playing some guitar... and trying to learn how to work on guitars a bit as well. I've already broken and repaired Remi's guitar, so who knows? Maybe I can find myself a whole new life as a guitar tech??? :) Gotta be better than being laid off by another bank/software company/ ...

4. And the Bears may have finally ended their drought at the Quarterback position!!! YAY!!! Now all that remains to be learned is whether Ron Turner keeps his job if they stumble this year.

So, all in all things are going well. The lack of a job really bites the ol' big behind, but luckily Angela works nights so we get to have the whole day together pretty much. Not too shabby.

Thinking about the trade yesterday that brought Jay Cutler to the Chicago Bears... there were some stats thrown about yesterday that were just mind numbing.

Cutler last season threw for over 4,000 yards, more than 25 TD's, and went to the Pro Bowl. The last Pro Bowler for the Bears at the QB sport was Jim McMahon after the Super Bowl season in 1985. Erik Kramer was the last Bears QB to toss over 5 TD's in 1995. And the Bears have NEVER had a QB throw for over 4,000 yards. In fact, Cutler had more yards passing last season than former Bears starter Kyle Orton has in his career! Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the value here.

As for the draft picks given up... well, the Bears love trading down in the first round or out of the first round altogether. And when they do make a first round selection, it is usually a 50/50 chance for bust (same with most teams). For every Brian Urlacher there are two David Terrel's it seems. To get proven quality and cough up two first rounders doesn't seem too far fetched when you realize that one of those first rounders would likely be a bust anyways.

***

So, the job hunt... sheesh... it ain't easy. Given my background, it may be next to impossible. I have 10+ years in IT, but most of my experience was 3+ years ago so getting any Senior level position is out. BUT, because of the decade of experience,I am deemed "overqualified" for the lower level positions. Lovely Catch-22. I think my next job NEEDS to be fun, so yesterday I applied at Guitar Center and there are like three other guitar shops in my area that I am going to go into and check out. If I can make $10 an hour after my commissions (or more... more is always nice...) then I can pay my bills and contribute here at home. AND, have time to write! I think that is the key, and the reason I probably would not have take a job say with the Buccaneers even had it been offered.

So, for now I will keep sending out the resumes... keep writing... if I can work through a full chapter a week, I might have something worthy of being published later this summer. :)

In the meantime, I have a trip to Chicago for a wedding, and maybe a trip to Nigeria for kicks later this summer... that would be FUN!

Keep rocking...

Peace out...

Heitz

No comments: